Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Ugly Malaysian








The Ugly Malaysian exists. 

To board a flight, there are some who would push the elderly and shove children out of the way and be very proud of the fact that they have absolutely zero civic conscience or a single ounce of decency. I am embarrassed that at an international airport, to hear a foreigner ask, `Are you guys Malaysians?, Do you even know how to behave?'. It is absolutely embarrassing but the Ugly Malaysian does not care. Four Ugly Malaysians, Four able bodied men jostling each other, older and younger passengers to be right in front. Let me tell you how this happened.

This all happened on Monday evening/night. In Macau International Airport. First, the Ugly Chinese who introduced themselves when I queued to get in line for check in. Of course, the Ugly Chinese took advantage of the fact that I had children travelling with me. So that should be easy enough barging their trolleys ladened with heavy luggage at my unsuspecting kids. That really pissed me off. Don't mess with this mum. So the Ugly Chinese had to wait their turn. All this time, I thought how un-educated and horrible these people were. But I think the Ugly Chinese somehow, have been put in a society that is so competitive that in order to survive, these are some of the hard choices people make. Its a dog eat dog world.

My flight home, AirAsia AK55 that was scheduled to leave at 5:10p.m. Weather conditions unfortunately did not favour me as Macau was shrouded in thick fog. Giving the AK55 pilot the benefit of the doubt, whilst all the other pilots landed their planes, ours ended up in Hong Kong instead. 

After 5 hours of waiting, AirAsia gave AK55 passengers the choice of:

(a) Take our luggage, board a ferry and find ourselves into HK and board the flight from there. That was a really bleak option and had that happened, we would probably fly out of HK 9 hours later. 
(b) Wait until the next available flight, that could happen over 2 to 3 days. No reimbursements.

But luck be on my side, the later flight AK57 landed in Macau. IN FOG. Still, I give the AK55 pilot, the benefit of doubt why he could not land IN FOG. And the flight was not full. So AirAsia, gave passengers the option to board this flight but unfortunately, there was no enough space to board everyone. That's when the Ugly Malaysian surfaced. And the jostling and shoving just to get in front. Our four friends where already amongst the first 10 in queue but this obviously was not enough. 

Tip to Air Asia. Be a responsible corporate citizen and make it a policy to board the elderly, pregnant and those travelling with children first. There will be more incidences where the Ugly Malaysian will surface again. And sadly, no amount of education can help but to teach them through conditions placed. The sad part of this episode, there were 43 elderly tourists travelling together and they could only board 23 of them. If I were travelling without kids, I would have given up my seat. I don't know what time those grandfathers and grandmothers got home to their families. 

Shame on you. Ugly Malaysians!

2 comments: